3/25/2009

Transformation

One thing we have been laughing about, and sometimes been scared about, is the thought of putting certain video takes from our rehearsals and recordings on the Internet. On this blog you can see some examples, which we chose to put on here even if it's just us playing around with a groove or a melody. It might not show the best side of us, but we think it's fun to share parts of our fellowship this way. Of course there are other clips that we under no circumstances want to put on the Internet, even if you paid us all the money in the world. As we were talking about this the other day, and laughing about certain video clips of ourselves, I started thinking about sound files I made when I presented my songs to Praise Unit. The way I have worked when I presented a new song is I have recorded a keyboard, a bass, and a drum loop, and then sang the melody of the song on top of that. Then I emailed this to Praise Unit along with the sheets, so that everybody could learn it on their own. When I recorded the song I had no intention to make a good production, because the purpose was just to give everybody an idea of where we are going with the song. It sounds... well... not so good. Or maybe terible is a better word. Or laughable or something like that. So one part of me is just terrified that these files would start spreading over the Internet. But then there's another side of me that listen to it, and then listen to how it sounds when Praise Unit performs it, and I realize what a unique musical transformation I have the privilige to experience. The song turns into something which is not just descent, but gives great pleasure to my ears. And I see a little bit of the greatness of God in this. I say to myself... "if you can use anything Lord, you can use me"!

No comments: